Areas of Specialization
Accounting, Audit and Business Advisory Services
B.S., Accounting, Long Island University
Bob has more than 30 years of audit, tax and business advisory experience. Bob retired from BDO Seidman, LLP (now known as BDO USA,LLP) where he spent most of his professional career as an audit partner. In 1994, Bob was named as BDO’s first ever Managing Director of their newly created Financial Services Group. Bob was BDO’s national consulting resource for the financial services industry as well as one of the New York‘s metropolitan area partners for Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) matters. As an assurance partner, Bob delivered accounting, audit and business advisory services.
As Managing Director of BDO’s Financial Services Group (“FSG”), Bob led a group of over a hundred professionals delivering accounting, audit, tax, and business advisory services to the financial services community. Bob built a world class team of client centric service professionals culminating in their being recognized by Institutional Investors Alpha magazine as the best accounting firm serving the hedge fund industry not once but twice, the largest international accounting firm ever to have achieved such recognition. Under Bob’s leadership the FSG grew into BDO’s largest specialty group within the firm.
Bob served broker/dealers in securities, investment advisers, investment partnerships, business development companies (“BDC’s”), leasing and specialty finance companies. Bob assisted several clients in their going public phase and has performed engagements in connection with registration statements filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Bob is a business advisor to investment bankers, broker dealers and boards of both publicly and privately held corporations.
Bob is a well-rounded business advisor, although specializing in financial services Bob started as a general audit partner servicing Construction, Technology, Professional Service, Distribution and Manufacturing Companies. As a general audit partner Bob served companies such as Kohn, Pedersen & Fox, Spectrum Information Technologies, P&F Industries, B2Bstorescom, UDiet.com.
Some of the financial service companies that Bob has served include Fir Tree Partners, Fred Alger & Company, Greenlight Capital, Josepthal & Co., Lord Abbett, Nikko Securities, Oxford Resources, Prospect Capital Corporation, Renaissance Technologies and York Capital to name a few.
Bob was also the Chairperson overseeing BDO’s retirement plan assets which exceed a quarter of a billion dollars.
Bob was a professor in the CUNY system and an instructor in BDO’s Continuing Professional Educational Programs. He has been an invited speaker at law firms, banks and other professional organizations. Bob has been quoted by numerous publications as an expert on the hedge fund industry including, Alpha Magazine, Hedge Fund Law Report and Barron’s.
Bob was recognized by the Federated/Allied department stores (Bloomingdales, Rich’s, Burdines; etc.) for his efforts in “helping them to solve the puzzle” in their reorganization efforts.
Bob has also served as an expert in a number of high profile cases in defense of Bear Stearns (Shulte Roth, counsel relating to Manhattan Fund), Special Creditors committee of Ames Department Stores (Kelly, Drye & Warren, counsel). Several of the Big 4 Accounting Firms in various actions including Madoff, Manhattan Fund, Refco and others.
Representative Case Engagements
- Expert witness for Kelley Drye & Warren representing a “special” creditors group in the Ames Stores bankruptcy
- Expert witness for Updike Kelley representing CNA Insurance in a matter against an accounting firm related to alleged audit failure of a broker dealer in the securities field
- Defense of an international accounting firm in the Madoff scandal
- Represented a hedge fund in a dispute regarding the appropriateness of the use of a “side pocket”
- Represented a hedge fund in a dispute regarding the fair value of a Level 3 investment
- Represented a Big Four Firm in a matter relating to a failed hedge fund
- Defense of an international accounting firm in a fraud claim regarding financial reporting and Level 3 valuation issues
- Representation of funds in regulatory matters in front of the SEC, FINRA, and CFTC
- Represented an investor’s interest in a dispute with a hedge fund
- Defense of an International Capital Markets Firm in a matter related to The Manhattan Fund (Schulte Roth & Zabel, counsel)
- Support of a Hedge Fund in its case against an International Capital Markets Firm in Ireland and the United Kingdom (William Fry, counsel)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants - Past Member, Stockbrokerage Committee
- Securities Industry Association - Member, Internal Audit and Financial Management Divisions